Oct 16 2012

The Motor Parkway Toll Collection Structure #2 Hillside Ave Lodge & #3 Rocky Hill Rd Lodge in Queens

Going west to east, the second and third Motor Parkway toll collection structures were the Hillside Avenue Lodge (1921-1928) the Rocky Hill Road Lodge (1928- 1938) located 600-feet east of present-day Springfield Boulevard in Queens.

Officially opened on July 1, 1928, the "toll lodge" clearly was only a toll booth across both lanes of the Motor Parkway. In the above photo, gatekeeper Sidney A. Jones was standing on the right side of the booth. Jones manned this location until the parkway closed in 1938.


Howard Kroplick

Hillside Avenue Lodge (1921-1928)

From 1921 to 1928, a ticket booth called the Hillside Avenue Lodge was placed at the Motor Parkway entrance at Springfield Boulevard. This ticket booth was replaced by the Rocky Hill Road Lodge.

September 1937 Aerials

This aerial photo of Alley Pond Park looking west shows construction of the extension of Union Turnpike in the lower left corner. Just above the turnpike is a section of the then still-active Long Island Motor Parkway with its bridge over Winchester Boulevard. Running diagonally across the photo is Grand Central Parkway.The upper left section of the photo shows the Motor Parkway near Rocky Hill Road. Let's take a closer look.

The Rocky Hill Road Toll Lodge and the two entrance and exit ramps were captured in this aerial

This view looking east again showed the toll lodge and two ramps.

1938 Aerial

Another rare aerial view of the Rocky Hill Road Bridge and the Rocky Hill Road Toll Lodge, further highlighted by its shadow.

1941 Aerial

Within three years after the closing of the Motor Parkway, the Rocky Hill Road Toll Lodge had been taken down.

Current Views

Although the toll lodge and even the Rocky Hill Road name are long gone, the Springfield Boulevard Bridge remains standing as one of the seven extant Motor Parkway bridges. The bridge functions as part of Brooklyn-Queens Greenway. This is a current view looking south-east.

Both ramps that led to the toll lodge are still in place.

Google map of the area.


Oct 22 2012 Frank 12:11 AM

Hi Howard
Recently, I stumbled across the white bridge pictured in the center of the 1937 aerial above and was amazed to discover it still exists today! It’s been hidden north of the baseball diamonds since the widening of the GCP. It’s accessible from Douglaston Pkwy on the Alley Pond Park/GCP Service roads. The roadway is so deteriorated it must be the original surface.

Oct 22 2012 Frank 12:19 AM

Also at the top of the aerial, is that Cloverdale Blvd cutting across Alley Pond Park?

Oct 22 2012 Howard Kroplick 3:15 PM

Frank, it may be. Any Queens experts wish to confirm?

Leave a Comment